I am sure you are wondering Healthy French Toast? How can that be healthy? Well, back in January of this year I started a 6 Week Fitness Challenge and it totally changed my lifestyle and my mentality towards healthier eating. One of my biggest struggles was bread in general. Even though we always have nutritious whole wheat bread filled with nuts, seeds, etc, I was just not having it in moderation and it was suggested we switch to Ezekiel Bread. This bread contains no flour and is made up of a mixture of grains and legumes—organic wheat, millet, spelt, barely, soybeans and lentils (all sprouted). Its easier for your body to absorb calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc. It’s more than grains that make this bread healthy.
I haven’t really had regular wheat bread more than twice in over 8 weeks and I really wanted to try out my french toast recipe with this and to my surprise, it turned out quite well. Now for some, it may be a little dry and if so, you can use more milk. I just don’t like the toast too soggy.
Healthy French Toast Ingredients
- 5 Slices Ezekiel Bread
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (could be replaced with honey or maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- Whisk together the eggs, almond milk and vanilla extract and add the cinnamon, coconut sugar and set aside. Make sure this is in a deep plate so you can dip the bread in.
- In a large skillet, melt a few drops of coconut oil over medium heat.
- Dip the bread in the egg mixture
- Fry the slices until golden brown (I like it golden to medium brown) and turn it over to cook on the other side.
- Serve with some organic maple syrup, berries. We love it with strawberries, raspberries & blueberries.
I hope you enjoy this and please let me know how it turns out 🙂